Objectives And Scope
In order to meet the WCMC communities' growing and diverse disk storage requirements, Information Technologies and Services (ITS) provides storage as stand-alone or replicated and with or without tape backup. Our goal is to provide a sustainable and scalable storage solution that meets the price and feature functionality requirements of the WCMC community. Our storage platform has the advantage of providing the kind of storage, security and backup features that are required by the types of files and data being stored while leveraging enterprise class technologies which provide optimal economies of scale that reduce costs charged back to you as overall usage increases. Our goal is to provide a sustainable and scalable storage solution that meets the price and feature functionality requirements of the WCMC community.
Central File Sharing service does not designate limits/maximum storage, however incremental requirements will add cost. Please see cost section for that detail.
Central File Sharing service is expected to be available outside a two-hour weekly maintenance window. Often, maintenance does not affect availability, but if it might, there will be advance notice.
ITS cannot guarantee service levels when faced with circumstances beyond our control. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Natural or man-made disasters
- Electrical or network outages or disruptions
- Equipment failure unrelated to abuse or neglect
- Attacks on the WCMC network
What is available:
- Stand-alone file storage
- Replication of data to remote mirror in Ithaca data center
- Access via CIFS or NFS
- Assistance with the creation of a customized folder and permissions hierarchy to only allow relevant users or groups access to content.
- Data Backup: Automatic nightly backups to tape, with up to three versions kept for 90 days, deleted files kept 180 days, encrypted copy sent off site daily.
- Option for users to recover files on their own from three different snapshots in the past twenty-four hours.
- Emergency generator power
- Personal folder quotas
- Seamless space expansion
- Monday-Friday, 7AM-7PM, with on-call support for system interruptions during after-hours
The average transfer rate is 20mb per second.
Cost and Fees
Pricing is available on the File Sharing page.