Objectives And Scope
The email and calendar service of choice for WCMC, NYP, WCMC-Q, and Cornell Ithaca is Exchange. Exchange is a robust feature-rich messaging environment developed by Microsoft and provides e-mail, calendar, tasks and contacts all in one place. All WCMC employed faculty, staff and students are provided with an Exchange account. Exchange services can be accessed in three ways: from Microsoft Outlook, from a web browser, and mobile device (e.g., iPhone and Blackberry).
WCMC Faculty and Department/Division Administrators receive Exchange accounts with 1 gigabyte of storage, allowing them to store approximately 24,000 messages. These users can access email using either Microsoft Outlook or a web browser. Additional fees are required to enable access using a mobile device.
Exchange is expected to be available outside a two-hour weekly maintenance window. Often, maintenance does not affect availability, but if it might, there will be advance notice.
ITS cannot guarantee service levels when faced with circumstances beyond our control. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Natural or man-made disasters
- Electrical or network outages or disruptions
- Equipment failure unrelated to abuse or neglect
- Attacks on the WCMC network
What Is Included - Basic Service
- Microsoft Outlook 2010/2011 installed and supported with 1GB of email quota.
- Email attachments up to 25 megabytes in size are supported. To send larger attachments, please use the file transfer service
- Access to Global Address List (GAL) including name, department and phone information for all faculty, staff and students on Exchange (includes NYP users as well)
- Ability to schedule meetings with WCMC and NewYork-Presbyterian staff
- Resource calendars for scheduling non-people resources, e.g., conference rooms
- Nightly backups of email retained for 14 days
- Spam and Virus filtering
- Encrypted connections to email and calendar via a web browser when at home or traveling
- Access to how-to guides and Frequently Asked Questions
- Support from 7AM-7PM Monday thru Friday, with on-call support for system interruptions during after-hours
Exchange calendar and email transmissions are expected to be available from the server within fifteen minutes of their origination or arrival in the server.
Price varies with email tier storage, email and calendar options. For details regarding the price, please refer to the Exchange service information.