VDI provides a customizable, virtual Windows desktop that you can connect to from almost any device - including desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones - and access your files and applications in the same state you last left them. VDI is a secure way to remotely access your important programs and data from anywhere.
Versions of VDI
ITS offers three versions of VDI:
- Open Desktop (accessible with Thin Client or a Session Only):
This is a dedicated customizable Windows 7 desktop in which you have the flexibility to install applications beyond our standard suite. You can then access this personalized desktop from almost any device connected to the Internet, including home computers, while retaining your previous state.
- Locked Exam Room or Kiosk Desktop (accessible with Thin Client only)
This is a restricted virtual Windows 7 desktop design for areas where computers are shared, such as exam rooms and waiting areas. The user has no administrative rights and cannot install applications; this increases the machine's availability and security, and decreases cost.
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) Desktop (accessible with Thin Client only)
This restricted Windows 7 desktop is PCI compliant with credit card swiping capability. The user will have no administrative rights and cannot install applications.
These versions of VDI can be accessed with a thin client, which is a small hardware device connected to your computer, or via Session Only, which allows you to remotely access your virtual desktop from almost any computer.
Standard ITS Applications
- Windows 7 Enterprise Edition (SP1) 64Bit
- Microsoft Office 2013 Professional Plus, including:
- Outlook Client (available with Open Desktop only)
- Skype for Business
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 11
- General Electric Centricity Business (GECB)
- Weill Business Gateway (WBG)
- Epic Hyperspace
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9
- Coeus & eIRB
- Chat Clients (Skype for Business)
- NYP Applications: WebPACS, ImageCast, and Eclipsys
Hardware (for Thin Clients only)
- Thin client
- Standard Hewlett-Packard keyboard and mouse
Virtual Desktop Specifications
- 25GB of hard drive space to install applications and store files
- 4GB of RAM expandable to 8GB at an additional incremental cost
- Dual 2.6Ghz Intel Xeon CPU
Locked Exam Room or Kiosk/PCI Desktop
- End users cannot install applications; files can be stored on department file share
- 3GB of RAM
- Single 2.6Ghz Intel Xeon CPU
ITS has tested and certified the following à la carte hardware options to customize your VDI experience, including:
- Hewlett-Packard 24-inch monitor
- Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse
- Microsoft LifeCam Studio HD Webcam
- Jabra wired headset
- Jabra wireless, Bluetooth headset
- Logitech speaker system
Cost and Fees
Current pricing for this service is available on our Rates page under the “Virtual Desktops” category.
You must have an active CWID to access this service.