Microsoft applications are comprised of mainly the Office suite of applications that support various productivity needs on both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems.
The main Microsoft desktop applications are:
- Microsoft Office Professional Suite (included with ITS Tagged computers)
- Microsoft Word provides tools for creating and sharing professional word processing documents.
- Microsoft Excel provides tools for creating spreadsheets, charts, and graphs.
- Microsoft PowerPoint provides tools for creating presentations.
- Microsoft Access provides tools for creation and maintenance of records in database form.
- Microsoft Outlook provides tools for email communication, calendaring, contacts and task management.
- Microsoft Publisher provides tools for creation of entry-level desktop publications such as marketing materials.
- Microsoft OneNote provides tools for free-form note taking and information gathering.
- Microsoft Project Professional provides tools indented for project managers and allows for the creation and maintenance of project tasks, schedules and resources. This application is provided at an additional cost requiring prior authorization by a department administrator.
- Microsoft Visio Professional provides tools to create professional diagrams such as business process maps and technical diagrams. This application is provided at an additional cost requiring prior authorization by a department administrator.
Cost and Fees
Microsoft Office Professional (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, Lync, Publisher) is included on ITS-tagged computers at no additional cost.
Microsoft Project and Visio require additional cost and must be requested via the Service Desk with approval from the Department Administrator.
For personally owned computers, faculty, staff or students can purchase at deeply discounted prices via OnTheHub.
Users with an ITS-tagged computer can download a copy of Microsoft Office from the Microsoft Software Center (Windows) or the Self Service application (Mac). Additionally, you can contact the Service Desk for assistance in downloading the software.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I download Office 2016 for Macs?
A: Yes, Office 2016 for Macs can be downloaded on an ITS-tagged machine via Self Service.
Note that Office 2016 is only available for macOS Yosemite (10.10), El Capitan (10.11), and Sierra (10.12). If you are running an older version, you will not see Office 2016 available for install in Self-Service as it will not run. If you are running 10.10 or higher and you still do not see it please contact the Service Desk.
Q: What’s new with Office 2016?
A: Office 2016 includes updated versions of Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. Although the interface has slightly changed, any user familiar with these tools should be able to quickly navigate the applications, and notice improved performance. Click here for more on What’s new in Outlook 2016 for Windows.
Q: How do I configure Outlook 2016 to connect to my WCM email account?
A: After you install Office 2016, you will need to set up your account in Outlook 2016 in order to access your WCM email. Click here for instructions on how to configure your account in Outlook 2016.