Join us for our 8th Annual SMARTFest on Feb. 2, 2023! SMARTFest is an annual event organized by ITS and the Wood Library that promotes emerging tech and helpful services for WCM faculty, staff, and students. This website will be updated regularly with information about event activities and participants, so please visit periodically to learn more about SMARTFest.
Date & Location
Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023
10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Samuel J. Wood Library & Griffis Faculty Club
1300 York Avenue
New York, NY
Sponsors & Participants
Thanks to our many sponsors and participants making this year's SMARTFest possible:
- CDW/Lenovo: CDW and Lenovo have teamed up to show the latest products available for purchase at WCM.
- The Cornell Store: The official place to find WCM gear and discounted Apple products.
- Dell/Microsoft/Zones: Join Dell, Microsoft, and Zones at the Tech Rally in Griffis Faculty Club to see the latest laptops, 2-in-1s, and more!
- Gemini Consulting & Services: Gemini offers a number of consulting and support services that assist ITS and the WCM community with our technological needs.
- InfoEd Global: InfoEd Global, used for the Weill Research Gateway, is the world’s leading provider of software to support electronic research administration.
- Ovid: Ovid helps researchers, librarians, clinicians, and other healthcare professionals find important medical information so that they can make critical decisions to improve patient care, enhance ongoing research, and fuel new discoveries.
- VisualDX: VisualDx is an award-winning diagnostic clinical decision support system designed to enhance diagnostic accuracy, aid therapeutic decisions, and improve patient safety. Features include world’s best curated medical image library, leading skin of color atlas, and more.
- CrashPlan: CrashPlan provides peace of mind through secure, scalable, and straightforward endpoint data backup. We help organizations recover from any worst-case scenario, whether it is a disaster, simple human error, a stolen laptop, ransomware or an as-of-yet undiscovered calamity.
- DNASTAR Lasergene: Lasergene offers comprehensive sequence analysis software for molecular biology research, genomics, and protein analysis.
- DynaMed: DynaMed is a leading clinical decision support solution with a mission to provide the most useful evidence-based information to healthcare professionals at the point of care to improve health outcomes worldwide.
- McGraw-Hill Education: AccessMedicine from McGraw Hill Medical is a comprehensive online medical resource that provides a complete spectrum of knowledge from the best minds in medicine, with essential information accessible anywhere.
- Merative: Put time back on your side with Merative's Micromedex solutions – evidence-based resources that leverage cloud, automation and industry-leading AI to help improve efficiency and elevate care experiences.
- Skillsoft: Skillsoft offers 180,000 courses, videos and books with the largest catalog in IT, Business and Leadership skills, and Compliance training.
- Springer Nature: Springer Nature advances discovery by publishing trusted research, supporting the development of new ideas and championing open science.
- Karger: Springer Nature advances discovery by publishing trusted research, supporting the development of new ideas and championing open science. We are committed to playing our part in accelerating solutions to address the world’s urgent challenges.
- Starfish Storage: Starfish is a unique software application for managing files and objects at any scale, ranging from departmental file shares to the world's largest supercomputing file systems.
- Covidence: Covidence was established in 2014 as a non-profit SaaS enterprise, creating a workflow platform, that makes it easier and faster to bring together all the research from around the globe and turn it into trustworthy summaries of scientific knowledge.
- MacVector: MacVector, Inc. develops powerful but easy to use Macintosh applications for Molecular Biologists to simplify and speed up the analysis, manipulation, assembly and documentation of DNA and protein sequences.
- Thieme: Thieme provides free access to important research articles and book chapters from Thieme’s medical journals and books.
- Unbound Medicine: Unbound Medicine’s mobile apps and companion websites give physicians, nurses, pharmacists, veterinarians and students access to medical information wherever and whenever needed.
- Architecture for Research Computing in Health (ARCH): ARCH matches Weill Cornell Medical College investigators with tools & services for obtaining electronic patient data. ARCH facilitates the use of electronic health record (EHR) data for research and the capture of novel research measures and integration of data from multiple systems.
- BrowZine: The Wood Library licenses BrowZine, which helps researchers and scholars stay current on the journal literature. Our booth will provide information to attendees about what BrowZine can do for them, how to install the BrowZine mobile app, and how to use BrowZine desktop.
- Data Core: Data Core offers secure computing and storage for researchers working with confidential data sets. Learn about our technical options (on-premise, cloud, GPU processing, etc.), along with the tools and software that are available, and the process of setting up a new Data Core project.
- Data Retention: The WCM Institutional Data Repository for Research (WIDRR) to helps researchers comply with the new Cornell University and NIH data management and sharing policies. We will detail how the WIDRR data retention wizard works and how researchers can use the website to check their records.
- EndNote: Endnote is a widely-used bibliographic management tool used be researchers and faculty to write papers.
- Grant Editing Service: Need help with a grant? The Library offers assistance with our Grant Editing service. Learn more about the scope of what we offer.
- Medical Center Archives: Includes details on and items from the history of the Medical Center, what the Medical Center Archives includes, and how to conduct research in the Medical Center Archives.
- Oskar Diethelm Library: View materials from the Oskar Diethelm Library, which is part of WCM's DeWitt Wallace Institute of Psychiatry: History, Policy, & the Arts. The library’s collection dates back to the 15th century and covers a wide range of topics, including psychiatry, psychology, psychoanalysis, mesmerism, spiritualism, phrenology, witchcraft, religion, addiction, mental health, sexual behaviors, asylums, and hypnosis.
- Publication Management & Reporting: The Library offers tools for both managing and reporting on publications. Publication lists are updated on a daily basis, are for a variety of people in the WCM community, and include data such as publication type, impact factor, and citation count.
- Systematic Review Service: Collaborate with expert searchers to publish your systematic review. The Library has knowledgeable staff to guide you through this evidence-based process. Systematic review collaboration may include: helping to define a research question, assisting in developing and registering the protocol, targeting specific databases and other resources to be searched, and more.
- Educational Technologies: The Educational Technologies Group (ETG) collaborates with faculty, students and course staff members to integrate digital and online courseware materials into the medical school curriculum and the design and development of web based teaching materials.
- ITS Training & Communications: The ITS Training & Knowledge and Communications teams support the institution to meet their technology training needs, as well as communicate awareness of ITS services.
- Patient Resource Center/Clinical Medical Librarian Service: Learn about the Myra Mahon Patient Resource Center and its consumer health information services, as well as the Clinical Medical Library services offered by the Library.
- Ariba: Learn more about our newest procurement solution in the Weill Business Gateway.
- Business Intelligence: Discover how our BI analytics and data visualizations can help you with your work. We'll be on hand to discuss the BI Gateway, Power BI, customized dashboards to analyze data, and more.
- Custom Web & Mobile Apps: Find out how ITS' web and custom mobile app solutions can help your department better assist patients and more.
- Duplicating & Copying: We provide copy and printing services, including large format printing, book binding, and all WCM and NYP stationary.
- ITS Procurement & Billing: Need a new computer? Learn the best way to order one from ITS! We'll share how to successfully procure ITS standards for hardware, software, smartphones, and peripherals.
- Project Management: We will be providing information on Project Management services including training content and courses and other materials and forums available to the wider WCM community. Also, take part in our Project Management game!
- SharePoint: Use our document management solution to share important information with colleagues at WCM and beyond.
- IT Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery: Learn tips on how to stay safe at home, plan for a disaster, create a personal evacuation and home safety plan, and more.
- Security & Identity Management: Find out how to practice good security hygiene at work and at home.
- Employee Children Tuition Scholarship: WCM offers college tuition benefits for each of employee's children. The benefit is available for a maximum of four years in an undergraduate degree program and is paid directly to the child's school. See if you're eligible.
- Recycling at WCM: A more sustainable WCM is a better WCM! Learn about recycling programs at WCM and test your knowledge of different waste and which recycling bin it belongs to.
- Salute - EHS Information System: Salute allows you to complete personnel management, service requests, various assessment types, and inventory capabilities. Come try it out!
- Weill Cornell Medicine Philanthropy: Learn tax-wise strategies that can protect your needs and enhance your gift’s impact at Weill Cornell.
|10:05 am - 10:25 am||Apple products||The Cornell Store at Weill Cornell||Apple will be presenting the Apple Distinguished School Award to Weill Cornell Medicine, followed by a high-level view of Apple Advances in Medical Education.||WCM Travel Tumbler|
|10:30 am - 10:50 am||Nature Portfolio Journals||Springer Nature||Springer Nature has a long history of publishing significant research. We invite you to glimpse the most recent Nature Portfolio editions to your collection: Nature Aging, Nature Cancer, Nature Metabolism, and Nature Catalysis.||Silver Weill Cornell Aluminum Water Bottle|
|10:55 am - 11:15 am||Micromedex||Merative||Merative Micromedex solutions now combine the evidence-based clinical content of Micromedex with the industry-leading AI capabilities of IBM Watson. The Watson Assistant allows users to bypass the traditional keyword-based search process in favor of a search bar that accepts conversational queries, allowing clinicians to type questions the same way they would speak in everyday language. Watson then applies its natural language processing capabilities and domain-specific training to efficiently mine the Micromedex content – returning relevant results quickly and helping users make decisions with clarity and confidence.||WCM Imprinted Seal Coffee Mug|
|11:20 am - 11:40 am||DynaMed||Ebsco Health||DynaMed has been completely reimagined over the last three years. We will illustrate what makes DynaMed and its brand agnostic systematic review of all relevant clinically focused content the premier tool for today’s clinicians.||WCM with Seal Crewshirt|
|11:45 am - 12:05 pm||Ovid||Wolters Kluwer||Powerful New Research Functionalities on the Ovid Platform. Ovid has developed powerful new tools to support your research including "Term Finder" for Medline and coming soon for Embase, "Search Sharing" and "Search Builder". Come discover how these functionalities can help improve search accuracy, efficiency and results for researchers as well faculty, students and clinicians.||WCM Hooded sweatshirt with Seal|
|12:10 pm - 12:30 pm||VisualDX||VisualDX||VisualDx: Use Cases for Students, Residents, Faculty and Providers. VisualDx is an award-winning diagnostic clinical decision support system designed to enhance diagnostic accuracy, aid therapeutic decisions, and improve patient safety. Features include: world’s best curated medical image library, leading skin of color atlas, smart search for chief complaints, diagnoses, and drug reactions, custom patient-specific differential diagnosis builder, tools to improve patient engagement and satisfaction.||WCM Baseball Cap|
|12:35 pm - 12:55 pm||Lasergene||DNASTAR||Discover Protein Variants and generate a model of the protein variant. Using Lasergene Molecular Biology software to discover the different protein variants in SARS-Cov strain, and then use Lasergene Protein (Protean 3D) to analyze and model the protein variants.||Cozy Bear in WCM Lab Coat|
|1:00 pm - 1:20 pm||CrashPlan||CrashPlan||Secure your data and protect your research by backing up your endpoint with CrashPlan. Don’t expose yourself to data loss by assuming a collaboration solution, like OneDrive or Box, can replace a dedicated backup solution.||WCM Travel Tumbler|
|1:25 pm - 1:45 pm||Lenovo computers||Lenovo & CDW||The redesigned ThinkPad X1 Carbon delivers an even better user experience while remaining thin, light, and one of the best 14-inch business laptops. Intel vPro® with 12th Gen Intel® Core™ processors, faster memory, and cutting-edge connectivity enable users to stay productive from anywhere. Stop by the Lenovo and CDW demo area and come and play with your new laptop!||Silver Weill Cornell Aluminum Water Bottle|
|1:50 pm - 2:10 pm||AccessMedicine||McGraw Hill Education||Save time and money with AccessMedicine & McGraw Hill Digital Resources. AccessMedicine is loaded with 100+ texts ... AND videos, animations, quizzes, cases, podcasts, and more study tools. Through your medical school library’s subscription you can access all of this at no extra cost to you! The library also supports faculty and students with specialty subscriptions for Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Pharmacy, PT, USMLE, Nursing, and Neurology.||WCM T-Shirt|
|2:15 pm - 2:35 pm||Gemini Highlights||Gemini||Mobile/Cross Browser Test Automation. Do your end users complain about the websites they use are not optimized for their smartphones and tablets, the solution is Cross-browser testing. Cross browser testing refers to the practice of verifying that web applications work as expected across combination of web browsers, operating systems, and devices. Please join us to discuss regarding Cross Browser Test Automation with third party tools.||WCM Imprinted Seal Coffee Mug|
|2:40 pm - 3:00 pm||Skillsoft||Skillsoft||At Skillsoft, we engage learners with interactive videos, practical simulations, LIVE courses, Bootcamps and career journeys. Percipio is our intelligent learning experience platform designed for learning in ways that make sense for each individual.||WCM Smoke Camelbak Tumbler|
SMARTFest attendees are eligible to win some amazing prizes, like:
- Bose headphones
- Apple Watch Series 8
- Nintendo Switch
- Dell laptop
- And more!
How to win:
Visit SMARTFest booths. While you’re learning about new services at SMARTFest, you’ll have the option to pick up a raffle ticket at each table. Visiting more tables and learning about all of our services increases your odds of winning. Tickets will be drawn at the end of SMARTFest in Uris Auditorium, and you must be present to be eligible to win.
- Attend demos. Each of our demos will include a prize you can win at the end of the session. You can also earn a raffle ticket for each demo attended.
- Complete our SMARTFest Passport. Attendees will be given a small passport card when they enter SMARTFest with eight locations they need to visit. Visit each of these locations to receive a stamp, then drop off the completed card with your information in one of our collection boxes. A winner will be randomly selected to receive a Dell laptop!