The Web Communications division of ITS builds and maintains web sites for all Weill Cornell Medicine business units, including departments, divisions, centers, and programs. Web Communications partners with clients to produce a solution-based web presence, that includes a cutting-edge platform and a comprehensive content architecture while maintaining a unified and consistent brand.
The methodology for build of a website includes focus on the end-user (i.e. the audience of the website) to assist in tailoring specific functions and content to targeted goals specific to that business unit.
Web sites are built through a practiced project lifecycle that combines attention to institutional standards, industry best practices while focusing on the individualized unit needs for a web presence.
The process typically for new and redesigned websites includes:
- Audience Research, including quantitative and qualitative collection methods to accurately understand how to satisfy a successful user experience (UX) with the chosen tasks and goals as identified as priority.
- Planning and Information Architecture (IA), including a review of planned or existing content, development of a site map blueprint document and creation of wireframes to explain general interactions with the site.
- Visual Design, including the creation of static comps (or mockups) for key sections of the site.
- Production, including the implementation of a unit's content into the Drupal content management system (CMS) and creation of necessary assets to execute the shared vision for the site.
- QA/Testing, including testing against all supported ITS desktop and mobile platforms and institutional web policies, as well as acting on any feedback from users or the client.
- Training, ensuring departmental users have the information they need to manage their web site going forward.
- Alternative RFP Service: ITS Web Communications is also able to assist departments in out-sourcing their web projects, should certain conditions apply that make a project right to find an outside vendor.
Cost and Fees
The costs for designing and developing web sites are determined on a per-project basis, based on a rate of $115 per hour.
Outsourced RFP Fee
Includes RFP creation & team involvement over life of project; maximum of 50 hours of resource time
- $5,250 one-time fee
Additional resource hours on RFP projects
- $130 per hour
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the cost for website hosting?
A: Hosting varies by site traffic and starts as low as $360/yr. See the Web Hosting service for more information.
Q: Can I use my domain name that I purchased?
A: Fully qualified domain names can be used, but with two conditions:
- With limited exceptions, the canonical/primary domain name for your website must be an institutional domain name, of the format unit.weill.cornell.edu or unit.weillcornell.org.
- The fully qualified domain name must be transferred to ITS for technical management
See 11.16 Domain Name Policy for more information.
Q: Are there other content management systems that we can build our website on?
A: Drupal has been selected as the content management platform for WCMC.