ITS provides full support for the operating system of ITS tagged computers. We offer server side management of your computer's operating system, which provides security updates, as well as encryption, which provides increased security. In the event of an operating system failure, ITS will diagnose and resolve it to get your computer to start up and operate normally again.
An operating system is the software that provides the interface between a user and computer. With ITS' supported list of operating systems, you will be able to access and receive support for WCM services.
WCM Standard Operating Systems
Standard operating systems are certified by ITS for compatibility with IT Services provided by WCM and NYP including web based applications and centrally provide desktops software (such as Microsoft Office).
- Windows 10 for all new PC connections
- Windows 7
- Mac OS X 10.7 and higher for all new Mac connections.
- Limited support for Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 on devices that are actively connected to the WCMC network. Consultation service required to re-install Mac OS 10.5 and lower on computers that require it.
Non-Standard Operating Systems
ITS does not recommend using these systems to access WCM resources due to compatibility or security issues. However, we can provide technical support as a consultation service. Support for these systems will be reviewed on a case by case basis via consultation and may incur additional fees.
- Any versions of Linux or Unix
- "Classic" Mac OS, including OS 9 and lower
- Windows XP or older
- Windows 8
A Note about New Operating Systems:
ITS does not recommend upgrading to operating systems not yet certified for use for the institution. This includes Windows 10 and Mac OSX 10.11 (El Capitan).
- Remote and on-site hardware, application and network support for supported operating systems
- Access to available services on the WCMC network; including, network connectivity, e-mail, chat messaging and a host of other services
Cost and Fees
- The cost of your operating system is determined by your computer vendor and is usually included in the cost of a new computer
- If you need assistance upgrading your operating system, the ITS Helpdesk can provide assistance on a consultation basis
You will need an ITS tagged desktop or laptop to receive operating system support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What kind of computer should I use at WCM?