Yes, Zoom signs the HIPAA Business Associate Agreement (BAA) for healthcare customers like WCM, meaning that Zoom is responsible for keeping patient information secure and reporting security breaches involving personal healthcare information. Zoom protects and encrypts all audio, video, and screen sharing data. You can use Zoom’s screen sharing, and video and audio conferencing to meet with patients and other healthcare professionals.
Even with these security measures in place, ITS strongly advises that you do not share PHI or PII-related information via screen sharing, recording, and file sharing to protect confidential data at the college. For more information on Zoom and HIPAA, click here.
To ensure that your Zoom meeting meets HIPAA security standards:
- Do not list your meeting publicly
- Require a meeting password:
- Log into your Zoom account and click “Schedule”
- When the “Schedule a Meeting” window appears, under Meeting Options select “Require meeting password” and input your desired password.
- Participants must input the password in order to join the meeting. The password can be included in the Meeting invitation.