Microsoft applications are comprised of mainly the Office suite of applications that support various productivity needs on both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. If you are logging into Microsoft Applications off campus, you may need to use Duo MFA.
The main Microsoft desktop applications are:
- Microsoft Office Professional Suite (included with ITS Tagged computers)
- Microsoft Word provides tools for creating and sharing professional word processing documents.
- Microsoft Excel provides tools for creating spreadsheets, charts, and graphs.
- Microsoft PowerPoint provides tools for creating presentations.
- Microsoft Access provides tools for creation and maintenance of records in database form.
- Microsoft Outlook provides tools for email communication, calendaring, contacts and task management.
- Microsoft Publisher provides tools for creation of entry-level desktop publications such as marketing materials.
- Microsoft OneNote provides tools for free-form note taking and information gathering.
- Microsoft Project Professional provides tools indented for project managers and allows for the creation and maintenance of project tasks, schedules and resources. This software must be purchased separately by the department from OnTheHub or other external agency. They cannot be requested from ITS, even for a fee.
- Microsoft Visio Professional provides tools to create professional diagrams such as business process maps and technical diagrams. This software must be purchased separately by the department from OnTheHub or other external agency. They cannot be requested from ITS, even for a fee.
Cost and Fees
Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, Skype for Business) can be downloaded on an ITS-tagged computer at no additional cost.
Microsoft Project and Visio must be purchased separately by the department from OnTheHub or other external agency. They cannot be requested from ITS, even for a fee.
For home computers, personal computers, and computers that are not-ITS tagged, faculty, staff or students can purchase Office 2016 at a deeply discounted price via OnTheHub.
Office 2016 can also be downloaded at no additional cost from the O365 webmail portal, but please note that if you download from the O365 portal, if you leave WCM your software license will deactivate and the software will no longer function.
There are several ways to download Microsoft Office 2016:
ITS-Tagged Computers: You can download Office 2016 to your ITS tagged using the WCM App Store. For further directions view this guide: How to download Office 2016 on a Tagged Computer. Additionally, you can contact the Service Desk for assistance in downloading the software.
Home computers, personal computers, computers that are not ITS-Tagged: You can download a copy of Office 2016 from the O365 Webmail portal at O365.med.cornell.edu at no additional cost. You can also download Office 2016 from our OnTheHub store at weillcornell.onthehub.com at a deeply discounted price. For further directions view this guide: How to download Office 2016 on a home computer, a personal computer, or a computer that is not ITS-tagged.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I download Office 2016 for Macs?
Yes, Office 2016 for Macs can be downloaded on an ITS-tagged machine via the WCM App Store.
Note that Office 2016 is only available for macOS Yosemite (10.10), El Capitan (10.11), and Sierra (10.12). If you are running an older version, you will not see Office 2016 available for install in the WCM App Store as it will not run. If you are running 10.10 or higher and you still do not see it please contact the Service Desk.
What’s new with Office 2016?
Office 2016 includes updated versions of Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. Although the interface has slightly changed, any user familiar with these tools should be able to quickly navigate the applications, and notice improved performance. Click here for more on What’s new in Outlook 2016 for Windows.
How do I configure Outlook 2016 to connect to my WCM email account?
After you install Office 2016, you will need to set up your account in Outlook 2016 in order to access your WCM email. Click here for instructions on how to configure your account in Outlook 2016.