If you have an Android device, like a smartphone or tablet, it's important to ensure it's encrypted to protect institutional and personal data. These instructions can help you encrypt your device. Due to the various Android models currently on the market, please note that these instructions may slightly differ from the options available on your device.
- Back up your data. Make sure you have anywhere between 30 minutes to a couple of hours to spare as your device will be unusable during the encryption process.
- Confirm your device is charged to at least 80% battery and keep it plugged in before starting.
- Make sure you have a complex six-digit passcode set to unlock your device (instructions here).
- In your device's menu, go to Settings > System > Security > Encrypt Device and choose Encrypt Phone or Encrypt Tablet.
- Your device may have you confirm your unlock passcode. Once you input your passcode, the encryption process will begin.
- Once the process is completed, you will be asked for your passcode again to unlock the device and you will be able to use your device as normal.