ITS supports a variety of Microsoft Office suite applications to assist with productivity needs at WCM. The Microsoft Office suite is available for Windows, Mac, and web-based access at O365.weill.cornell.edu. If you are logging into Microsoft applications off campus, you will need to use Duo two-factor authentication.
The main Microsoft desktop applications are:
Microsoft Office 365 Suite (included with ITS-tagged computers):
- OneDrive provides cloud-based storage for important documents and files.
- Outlook provides tools for email communication, calendaring, contacts and task management.
- Teams provides real-time collaboration and file sharing with colleagues.
- Word provides tools for creating and sharing professional word processing documents.
- Excel provides tools for creating spreadsheets, charts, and graphs.
- PowerPoint provides tools for creating presentations.
- Access provides tools for creation and maintenance of records in database form.
- OneNote provides tools for free-form note taking and information gathering.
- Visio provides templates and shapes to create diagrams, like organizational charts, and more.
Other applications include:
- Microsoft Project Professional provides tools indented for project managers and allows for the creation and maintenance of project tasks, schedules and resources. You can make a request for a license at myHelpdesk.
- Microsoft Visio Professional provides tools to create professional diagrams such as business process maps and technical diagrams. You can make a request for a license at myHelpdesk.
Cost and Fees
Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint, Teams, Visio) can be downloaded on an ITS-tagged computer at no additional cost. Office 365 can also be downloaded on a personal device by logging into your account and clicking the Install Office button. Please note, if you download from the O365 portal and leave WCM, your software license will deactivate and the software will no longer function.
Visio and Project
While there are free versions of Visio and Project (known as Planner) in your O365 online account, the professional versions are available with a fee. Current pricing for these applications is available on our Rates page under the “Software Licenses” category.
There are two ways to download Microsoft Office 365:
ITS-tagged computers: While many tagged laptops come with Office installed, you can download it to your ITS-tagged using the WCM App Store, if needed. Additionally, you can contact the Service Desk for assistance in downloading the software.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I download Microsoft Office for Macs?
Yes, Officecan be downloaded on an ITS-tagged machine via the WCM App Store:
Should I use the O365 or desktop version of Microsoft Visio?
Use Visio for O365 if you:
- Want to create a simple diagram (Mind Mapping, Process Flow, Organization Chart)
- Want to easily save and share my diagrams with my team(s)
- Don’t need the various specific icon set (Basic Shape Objects are good enough)
Request/keep the paid desktop version of Visio if you:
- Need the full library of objects, icons, and graphics.
- Need to work offline.
- Need to connect Visio to a data source (Excel, SharePoint Lists, SQL)
For a complete comparison, please see KB0017334.
For a detailed description on how to access Visio for Teams, please see KB0017339.