ITS will tag your smartphone and other mobile devices to give you access to your WCM email and calendar as well as our wireless network, and secure your device with MobileIron anti-theft software to protect your device in the event that it is lost or stolen.
Please view our Standard & Non-Standard Mobile Devices Guide for recommended smartphones and tablets.
When you tag your smartphone or mobile device, ITS offers two levels of service for connectivity and support:
- Basic Service
- Connectivity: Includes MobileIron Anti-Theft Protection Suite, WCM email access, WCM calendar access, WCM contacts access, Microsoft Lync, and Standard Guest Wi-Fi.
- Support: Includes ITS support for email and calendar issues only. An hourly rate is charged to assist with hardware and software issues, and no support is included for Wi-Fi, Epic mobile, or coordination of repairs.
- Full Service
- Connectivity: Includes all of the above, and additional access to WCMC Secure High-Speed Wi-Fi, WCM Apps, WCM Emergency App, access to Epic Mobile (Haiku for smartphones and Canto for iPad), as well as full device support by the Service Desk.
- Support: Includes full ITS device support for hardware and software, assistance with email, calendar and Wi-Fi issues, help with Epic mobile (optional), and coordination of repairs.
Eligibility for Basic or Full Service depends on your role at WCM.
Who is eligible for Full Service?
The following subset of staff, faculty, and students at WCM are eligible for Full Service at no additional charge:
- WCM Employees, full-time or part-time
- WCM Faculty, full-time or part-time
- Students enrolled in degree programs (cost of Full Service is covered by your Technology Fee)
All others are eligible for Basic Service, and can receive Full Service benefits for an additional fee. Please see below for Costs and Fees.
Non-standard devices. There is an hourly charge for any assistance needed with hardware and software on a non-standard device. Non-standard devices can only be tagged if MobileIron can be installed, and the Service Desk offers only a best effort at resolving issues with email, calendar, and Wi-Fi. Help with Epic mobile and coordination of repairs is not included.
Cost and Fees
All mobile devices requiring access to WCMC services must include MobileIron, passcode lock, cell phone carrier activation, and an ITS tag.
Please note that MobileIron was chosen by both ITS and the college as our industry-leading mobile device management service. This service allows ITS to remotely manage and configure mobile devices as well as manage compliance with security policies. ITS requires all mobile devices connected to the WCMC wireless network be configured with MobileIron.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I get my smartphone tagged?
A: First you must make a request, and then visit one of our SMARTDesk locations, or request that a technician come visit you.
- Visit myHelpdesk and click Submit a Request, then click Employee Smartphone Service Request Form. Fill out the form and submit.
- You’ll receive a confirmation message with a link that will take you to a booking page where you can schedule the time and date of your SMARTDesk appointment. If you are off-campus, you can request a technician visit.
Q: What is MobileIron?
A: MobileIron is a mobile device management (MDM) system that provides ITS with a means of governing mobile access to WCM resources, including email, calendar, contacts, and other central applications. Through the use of MobileIron, which is a free application that is installed on a governed mobile device, ITS has the ability to configure devices with the appropriate WCM settings to allow access to Wi-Fi networks, a WCM email account, and WCM applications. As a benefit to both WCM and the end user, MobileIron helps manage compliance with security policies and other regulations by enforcing device encryption and the use of a passcode to reduce the risk of accidental or improper disclosure of data In the event the device is lost or stolen.
Q: Is MobileIron required for my mobile device?
A: Yes. Any mobile device (smartphone or tablet) configured with a WCM email account (or wishing to access the WCMC Wi-Fi network) must have MobileIron installed. Without MobileIron, WCM cannot ensure the security of all devices with WCM data. In the event the device is lost or stolen, there are no assurances that WCM data has not been breached or inappropriately disclosed. Weill Cornell's faculty, students, and staff create and share a wealth of information on their mobile devices every day, much of which may be confidential. Should your device become lost or stolen, ITS can locate or wipe your device remotely at your request to make sure this data never gets into the wrong hands. Even if you do not regularly work with confidential data, it can protect the other content on your phone and is necessary for inventory tracking by your department. Not only does it protect you, it protects everyone who does business with Weill Cornell.
But I don't access clinical or confidential data. Do I still need MobileIron?
Yes. WCM's definition of confidential data extends beyond protected health information (see ITS 11.03 - Data Classification). If you use your mobile device to access the WCMC wireless network, you are using Weill Cornell resources and will need to have MobileIron installed.