ITS will tag your smartphone and other mobile devices to give you access to your WCM email and calendar as well as our wireless network, and secure your device with MobileIron anti-theft software to protect your device in the event that it is lost or stolen.
When you tag your smartphone or mobile device, ITS offers two levels of service for connectivity and support:
- Basic Service
- Connectivity: Includes MobileIron Anti-Theft Protection Suite, Office 365 access to email/calendar/contacts, and access to WCM Guest Wi-Fi.
- Support: Includes ITS support for email and calendar issues only. An hourly rate is charged to assist with hardware and software issues, and no support is included for Wi-Fi, Epic mobile, or coordination of repairs.
- Full Service
- Connectivity: Includes all of the above, and additional access to WCMC Secure High-Speed Wi-Fi, WCM App Store, and access to Epic Mobile (pending training).
- Support: Includes full ITS device support for hardware and software, help with institutional applications (including Epic), and coordination of repairs.
Who is eligible for Full Service?
The following group of staff, faculty, and students at WCM are eligible for Full Service at no additional charge:
- WCM Employees, full-time or part-time
- WCM Faculty, full-time or part-time
- Students enrolled in degree programs (cost covered by Student Technology Fees)
All others are eligible for Basic Service, and can receive Full Service benefits for an additional fee. Please see below for Costs and Fees.
Cost and Fees
Current pricing for this service is available on our Rates page under three categories, depending on your device: Standard Devices, Research Network Devices, and Non-Standard Devices.
All mobile devices requiring access to WCMC services must include MobileIron management software, passcode lock, cell phone carrier activation, and an ITS tag.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I get my smartphone tagged?
A: First you must make a request, and then visit one of our SMARTDesk locations, or request that a technician come visit you.
- Visit myHelpdesk and click Submit a Request, then click Employee Smartphone Service Request Form. Fill out the form and submit.
- You’ll receive a confirmation message with a link that will take you to a booking page where you can schedule the time and date of your SMARTDesk appointment. If you are off-campus, you can request a technician visit.
Q: What is MobileIron?
A: MobileIron is a mobile device management (MDM) system that provides ITS with a means of governing mobile access to WCM resources, including email, calendar, contacts, and other central applications. Through the use of MobileIron, which is a free application that is installed on a governed mobile device, ITS has the ability to configure devices with the appropriate WCM settings to allow access to Wi-Fi networks, a WCM email account, and WCM applications. As a benefit to both WCM and the end user, MobileIron helps manage compliance with security policies and other regulations by enforcing device encryption and the use of a passcode to reduce the risk of accidental or improper disclosure of data In the event the device is lost or stolen.
Q: Is MobileIron required for my mobile device?
A: Yes. Any mobile device (smartphone or tablet) configured with a WCM email account (or wishing to access the WCMC Wi-Fi network) must have MobileIron installed. Without MobileIron, WCM cannot ensure the security of all devices with WCM data. In the event the device is lost or stolen, there are no assurances that WCM data has not been breached or inappropriately disclosed. Weill Cornell's faculty, students, and staff create and share a wealth of information on their mobile devices every day, much of which may be confidential. Should your device become lost or stolen, ITS can locate or wipe your device remotely at your request to make sure this data never gets into the wrong hands. Even if you do not regularly work with confidential data, it can protect the other content on your phone and is necessary for inventory tracking by your department. Not only does it protect you, it protects everyone who does business with Weill Cornell.
But I don't access clinical or confidential data. Do I still need MobileIron?
Yes. WCM's definition of confidential data extends beyond protected health information (see ITS 11.03 - Data Classification). If you use your mobile device to access the WCMC wireless network, you are using Weill Cornell resources and will need to have MobileIron installed.